Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tea carts Tea carts Tea carts



I didn't know until recently how potential-filled tea carts are. I wasn't sure there was a market for them like other furniture has. Now I never pass one up! Tea carts have certainly made a comeback. Now they are the trendy item every party needs. I up-cycled two tea carts. One was for a lucky craigslist customer and another was for a little girl's 1st birthday party. Both came out adorable.
Before

After



The yellow, chippy look was created by using Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint in Mustard Seed Yellow. I bought the milk paint from a cute store in Barrington Hills called Tattered Tiques. It was the first time I used Milk Paint, and I was a little hesitate. It defiantly is not like regular paint. Also, it smelled to me like McDonalds. I didn't mind, but if your hungry, it could be a downfall. The paint started to chip in all the right places, just like it was supposed to. Over some of the areas I glazed it with Red Mahogany stain. Over everything I wiped on polyurethane to ensure it did not keep chipping away.
After selling the first tea cart so quickly, I went on a hunt for another. I found this beautiful 1940's tea cart in the south suburbs of Chicago. The couple I bought it from did not expect a young girl to be the one to answer their Craigslist ad selling a tea cart. Once I told them that I really love vintage furniture and was hoping to refinish it, they let me know that it came out of South Holland, an area in South Chicago and dated back from the 40's. The tea cart became a custom request for a baby girl's first birthday party. It was the first time I painted any furniture pink. It came out adorable and just how both the client and I envisioned.
Before
After






No comments:

Post a Comment