Friday, October 10, 2014

Stanley Desk

I love the story behind a piece of furniture. Sometimes, I don't have the luxury of knowing exactly where something came from. In this case, I knew a good chunk of the history behind this lovely Stanley Desk.

In 1962, the woman I bought it from was 16 years old and worked at a furniture store in Chicago. The store carried Stanley Furniture. She really wanted this particular desk, but she didn't have that much money to spend on it. She was making 85 cents per hour. So, she had a co-signer and had two dollars deducted from her paycheck each week to pay for the desk.

Present day, she decided she didn't have any use for it, and up for sale it went on Craigslist, and then to me of course :) I restored what I could, but stained parts of it. The pulls are wood sculpted and make it an iconic piece. I also love that Stanley didn't forget about the back. It has clean lines and adds versitility to it. It doesn't have to be pressed up against a wall. This beautiful desk deserves center stage!

Before


No comments:

Post a Comment